November is a month many pair with the thought of Thanksgiving. But, it’s a month which also holds another title. National Family Caregivers Month is a month dedicated to recognizing all that family caregivers do to help those who need assistance. So, in this blog, we will identify the purpose of spreading awareness about National Family Caregivers Month and acknowledge all that family caregiver do throughout the year.
What is National Family Caregivers Month?
In 1997, then-President Bill Clinton signed a proclamation titling November “National Family Caregivers Month”. And, each year afterward, the president in office has done the same. In 2012, then President Barack Obama stated, “Family caregivers have an immeasurable impact on the lives of those they assist, but their hours are long and their work is hard.” Every month of the year is proclaimed as a national month of awareness for various diseases, conditions, issues and honorable positions. So, during November, many organizations choose to honor our nation’s caregivers and spread awareness for conditions they may be caring for and resources for caregivers.
Some Statistics About Caregivers in the United States
Since this month is about bringing awareness for all that caregivers do, it’s helpful to look over statistics about caregivers so we can really understand all that they do. According to the Family Caregiver Alliance:
- Around 43.5 million caregivers have provided free care in the past year. This means not all caregivers are employed to provide home care but are friends, family, or loved ones of those being cared for.
- 16.6% of American people (39.8 million) are in-home caregivers.
- 15.7% of home caregivers provide care for an individual diagnosed with a dementia condition.
- In 2007, the total economic value of combined home care services equaled to over $375 billion.
- In 2013, it was recorded that the economic value of caregiver services which were provided free or charge totaled over $470 billion. This is a mere $7 billion short of what Walmart, the country’s most profitable corporation, made that year.
- There are more women caregivers than men. 65% of all caregivers are female.
- Younger caregivers are more likely to be male, with 45% of the caregiver population aged 18-50 male.
- The average age of a female caregiver is 69.4. And, ⅓ of caretakers over the age of 63 suffer from health issues.
Some Caregiver Resources to Use
Family Caregiver Alliance: According to their website, “Family Caregiver Alliance is the first community-based nonprofit organization in the country to address the needs of families and friends providing long-term care for loved ones at home.” They offer research information, resources for caregivers and support.
National Alliance for Caregiving: “The National Alliance for Caregiving is a non-profit coalition of national organizations focusing on advancing family caregiving through research, innovationand advocacy”, as stated on their website. This organization focuses on research, innovative technologies, state and local coalitions and in-home care across the nation.
ARCH National Respite Network: According to their homepage, “The mission of the ARCH National Respite Network and Resource Center is to assist and promote the development of quality respite and crisis care programs; to help families locate respite and crisis care services in their communities; and to serve as a strong voice for respite in all forums.”
Finding a Caregiver Service Right for Your Family
Now that you know more about National Family Caregivers Month, you may be wondering how your family might benefit from an in-home caregiver. By utilizing our referral network of caregivers, you can be confident that you’ll be placed with the caregiver who may meet your every need. And, you can be sure that you’ll be able to utilize these services at an affordable cost. If you’d like to find out how you can have an in-home caregiver referred to you, visit our website! Or, if you’d like to speak with an experienced representative, please don’t hesitate to call us at 561-501-6162.